Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What a day!

First of all, we woke up at 7:00am. Almost an hour before we usually 
do. We were going to breakfast at about 7:33am and Tim, the 
coordinator, called Kim, my headteacher, to say that we needed to be 
at his office at 20 mins till 8. Kim said, "sorry we are going to 
breakfast and be there as soon as we can." she was still not excited 
about the speech she was going to have to give. Who would be when 
they were just informed the night before that there was even going 
to be an awards assembly for the teachers at Mayflora School? She 
didn't memorize the speech but she did fix the Chenglish. After 
breakfast, we went straight to his office, all dressed up as we were 
instructed. Kim practiced her speech with her 15 year old Chinese 
translator. The girl was a doll. She translated Kim's speech into 
Chinese so the rest of the school would understand. (Kim read a line, 
then the girl translated, then Kim, then Chinese. Back and forth 
until the speech was over. It was only a couple minutes long so that 
was good!!) 


Our Dear Tim


We filled into the gymnasium with "some of the students" from each
class (k-12) and teachers. Since we are teachers and obviously 
*special*, we got to sit on stools. While all the students sat on 
the floor. When it was Kim's turn, I recorded it. The assembly 
itself was... Well as exciting as most of my high school assemblies
...not very. Then to top it off- I couldn't understand what they 
were saying and I didn't have that attitude of "well at least we get 
out of class". Instead I yearned for my firm but WARM bed back in my 
apartment. As it lead on, I began to wonder if my toes would turn 
into Popsicles and they would serve them at our next meal. I tried 
to sit up straight and set an example for the students. The relief 
that came when kids and adults started standing and turning toward 
the back of the gym, was overwhelming. I gladly stood up and began 
to walk. Oh what pain it brought me! My feet were so cold, it 
literally hurt to walk. It was like needles slicing into my precious 
feet. The apartment seemed like an eternity away! 
 
Not to mention that while we were heading that way, I found out I 
would be teaching an ELE class( which are older students) earlier 
than originally planned. I figured, schedules change. Especially 
with assemblies and what not. 
 
Oh I forgot how crazy this day was until now. 
 
So as we returned to our humble foreign abode, I simply lied in bed 
and stuck my earphones in. I listened to dance music and I do 
believe my mind was running the whole time but I can't remember 
because I started to drift off. Alas, there was a knock at my door 
only 54 minutes later. Which seemed but a very small moment. I 
wheeled myself to get up and out the door. 
 
Angel, Kim, and I went towards the class I was going to teach. I was 
unprepared and had no idea what to expect. I was hoping for 
talkative kids and some getting-to-know-you ideas. Yet, I couldn't 
be more unprepared for what Angel had in store. She saw the book I 
was carrying and realize it was for 7th graders. Which was my ELE 
class. Apparently, Tim had added yet another class to our schedule 
and they were (what we expect might be) 9th graders. I decided not 
to be too worried, if they were older they could speak more English,
right? 
 
Wrong. The class wouldn't speak a word. I couldn't tell if they were 
just trying with all their might not to not talk to the American 
English teacher or they just didn't understand me. I'm guessing the 
first though because I looked over their books and they looked 
pretty advanced for English students and they were acting ...teenage. 
I was frustrated as all get out. At some point, I think Angel told 
Kim that I could just read the vocabulary and show them how to say 
it. I did that. They repeated each word. Then...
 
Silence. 
 
I was relieved when the bell rang and class was over. Angel was not 
happy with the students either. She said they were very bad and that 
she would talk to the head master. Kim says we won't teach that 
class. Thank goodness! What a disaster! 
 
I was just about to crawl back into dreaming about my bed when Kim 
mentioned my REAL/original 7th grade class. Oh yeah, had to teach 
that one in 10 mins. Great. 
 
We walked down some steps, across a walk way, and down a hall. 7th 
grade, was much better. They were just learning some basic things 
-where people live, likes,dislikes, and so on. So it was perfect. I 
learned all of their names (English names) and talk about siblings. 
Then we talked about food. Not bad. 
 
There wasn't much time to rest but I still wrapped my one 
comforter/blanket around myself and warmed my body before going to 
lunch. Lunch was good. This time there really were Lima beans! 
Delicious! Along with good sliced potatoes, spicy cucumbers, and 
rice ;) 
 
You thought my day was over. Nope. I slept back in bed and wished we 
could do what the Chinese have been doing and suddenly change our 
schedule. As in, tell them I just wasn't going to teach today 
because at this point, we still hadn't taught our regular youngsters. 
 
I picked the easiest to prepare for lesson and went to face the 
music. Five classes later, exhaustion was setting in. They weren't 
their worst today or their best. I still ran around grabbing them by their coats,
trying to keep them from touching things, from touching each other, 
being bewildered when they honestly wouldn't do anything at all, and 
yelling because the classes echo and I'm competing with 4-8 other 
voices and more if there are random Chinese teachers just in there 
talking to each other. Welcome to ILP in Linchuan Mayflora School. :) 
yet, the kids can be adorable and some kids are really trying. 
Sometimes they enjoy the activity and cooperate. There is however, 
another factor of tokens but I think I've gone on long enough. 
 
Dinner was basically cooked cabbage, cooked greasy carrots, and rice. 
Meager but I kept going back for more carrots. 
 
Now I must do lesson plans that are due tomorrow night and hope it 
all goes well. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment