Sunday, March 13, 2011

Just for Fun

Oh it's been another crazy week! I did rotations this week- switching each classes kids. It was insane. The kids were wicked bad for the first few days.  Sometimes I wouldn't even have to teach one rotation of kids or only teach for 5 minutes because it would take so long to get them to hold hands, be quiet, and not hurt each other. That was the good end of the deal.

My 7th graders get bored easily and don't know how to line up. Most of them didn't quite get the concept of pictionary but they did play it the full 45 mins I was teaching. That was nice.

So on to the part of the week I like best, the {week}end!!!!!!! We found out last week that on Fridays, we only teach for two hours. This week we changed the schedule to fit. I barely taught that day. I had an hour before dinner to relax. When I went to get Kim for dinner, I met the other foreign English teacher. We had all been expecting this teacher all week. It turns out, he is from India! He had a pretty thick accent and it is difficult to understand his English sometimes. His English name is Peter because apparently Chinese can't say Vinay. (veen-a). He is Hindu and tells us of some very interesting cultural differences. (in the picture is Ashley and Vinay)

Saturday we went to the city, Fuzhou. We did some shopping and bought food at the supermarket. We rode the public bus to and from. To wasn't that bad. We all got seats and it is a 45 min ride. It was adorable when this lady was watching Ashley write letters because she was standing over her. She had her two kids look over the seat at her. Ashley didn't even notice and went on writing normally. I pulled out my camera just a little too late to catch them. On the way back, it was a little insane! There were so many people that we barely fit on! Many of the people were interested in who the foreigners were. Because Nicole and I were in the doorway of this jam-packed bus, a nice lady offered to hold our bags in front of her. We slowly made our way to the back of the bus as people got on and off. When I was holding onto one of the bars on the top of the bus, I thought my arm/shoulder might get dislocated because of all the quick stops and the frequencies of the stops and turns. The people were super nice! Most of them let us sit down instead of taking the seats. I felt a little bad but most of them got off in only a few stops. When we had about 10 minutes left, it was pretty empty and we all had plenty of room to stretch out.

We were so tired when we returned to the prison....I mean school, that most of us crashed or wanted to. It didn't take long for there to be a knock at the door. Another spontaneous teaching experience. We all went to teach some kids and play games. I didn't realize how tired I was until we had to walk up the hill. We played red rover. Naturally they lined up girls vs. boys. They would always take back the kid that was already on their team. It seemed like an eternity.
Sunday was wonderful. I was able to skype my love. I didn't want to stop talking with him and I ended up being a little late to 'church' in the other girls' apartment. Testimony meeting was a little hard to hear but Sunday school was really good. Lunch was delicious-carrots, little green bean things, big white beans, cabbage and rice. :) at 1 we went to the monastery. We took a bus to a certain point an then climbed soooo many stairs up a mountain to get to the temple.
It made me appreciate our temples and the gospel. Im so glad our temples are not so public and remain sacred. I feel like people were disrespectful there and it was dirty. People were everywhere taking pictures and talking loud. There wasn't a ton of worshipping going on it seemed. It was a very interesting place though and I'm glad we went.
Definitely a good Chinese experience!

Later, we had a visiting teaching meeting all together with our new Relief Society group leader, Nicole. Before I went to sleep, Bryndi and I put in 'the Best Two Years' and projected it onto our wall.
All-in-all it has been a nice weekend :) I need to stop eating so much, especially my junk food!!
p.s.-Tofu is becoming a rather regular thing in my meal plans. . . It really depends on the day if it is good or not. Hopefully it is good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment