Monday, May 2, 2011

Beijing-aling

Oh was that ride ever long. We did not get much rest. Not enough 
people got off as got on. We could not stretch out or claim two 
seats or more. There was not much to do. Then there was the cold air 
conditioning that was kept on all night. My shorts were not the best 
for these conditions. First we were roasted and then put in the 
refrigerator. Every hour I woke up or did not fall asleep and looked 
at my watch. It lasted for what seemed like forever. The morning was 
no different. We arrived in Beijing at 11 am. Finally. 
 
Our hostel is nice enough. It is in the heart of a tourist area. I 
have not seen so many white people (or black for that matter ) since 
we got here. One Asian looking man asked us to help him at the ATM 
because actually, he was from France and did not know what withdraw 
meant. Speaking of the bank, that was first on our agenda. We had 
maps and even the guy at the front desk showed us on a little card 
how to get to it. Yet, we prevailed only in finding it after at 
least 35 mins of searching. It just made no sense. Next on the 
agenda was noodles. We found a restaurant we had seen on our way to 
the hostel. The sign read something like this: 'Califorlan beef 
noodles USA'. Who would believe that? Not us, but we did want 
noodles. I got 'flavorless' noodles and added a little of the normal 
spice. It was very good. I ate the whole bowl. Which is really a 
feat if you realize how big the bowls always seem to be. I liked it  
though. I eat a lot of what I like to eat.
 





The Cafe that was is in the hostel.






         The front door! :)











Stairs leading up to to our room.
 





open court area with rooms up on the top level.






The only thing left to do was shop. We considered just some window 
shopping or getting a feel for pricing but we were out the rest of 
the day until 20:15. We all spent a bit of money but felt 
accomplished in our good finds and bargains. My favorite is a bag 
that is half my size. It has two silly people on the front and it 
was only 10 yuan. I love it. There is also many things to share when 
I get home. It is quite exciting though. :) we really have to bargain 
with some of the sales people but it can be entertaining when they 
are so persistent with a price and with you buying their item. Oh 
silly Americans. We may have still been cheated on several occasions 
but it is a skill and a work in progress. It is still cheaper than 
in America.
 
My 10 Yuan bag

It was a fun filled day with new opportunities and learning 
experiences. China is good. =o I know, you can start breathing again. 
I said it. Hopefully it continues to be well worth while. I am 
grateful for this amazing amazing experience and for the wonderful 
wonderful people that made/make it possible! I cannot believe I am 
actually here. What a treat and blessing! I thank the Lord for 
everything I have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment