Saturday, April 30, 2011

We escaped the prison once again.

And so, this new extravaganza begins. We taught ILP classes early on 
Thursday, April 28th. Teaching began at 9 am and went until 11:30am. 
It was a pretty normal day of teaching other than that lasting push 
to get through and have a good time because vacation was just hours 
away. Snow White was the story of the day. When I tried to have 
parts acted out, it was difficult with only one girl per class and a 
need for a queen and snow white character. Most of the time I 
improvised. On occasion, that meant I had to be a character and at 
one point I had to use Kim for my Snow White.
Finding our way to lunch was easy but the food was not all that 
appetizing. We went back to the apartments to finish packing and 
last minute projects. Checking things off my list, I said my last 
few goodbyes and 'i love you's to my fiance before vacation. I never 
know what will happen or how much time I will have to message or 
talk with everyone while on vacation. Simple things sometimes become 
daunting tasks that I only think about doing. 
 
At 13:00, we signed ourselves out and sat in the office waiting for 
our driver. I had my towel separate from my other things so it could 
have a chance to completely dry. Eventually we were in the bus, on 
our way to Nanchang. We hit up Walmart when we arrived. Everyone 
told us, including Tim, that we had one hour. Well, Tim called while 
we were in the supermarket an tried telling Kim that the headmaster 
called him and said the driver was very busy today. So naturally Tim 
says, "Maybe you find your own way to the station?" (the punctuation 
may be incorrect because it usually was more than a question but a 
way of trying to avoid asking or telling us). Kim just said no. It 
was obvious that we would never make it to the train station without 
our driver in time. In spite of this, we tried to be quick and at 
least trimmed off 10 minutes of our hour. Which is really 20 minutes 
if you count the 10 minutes already taken up in our hour by traffic. 
No matter. We got what we needed and we got to the station in good 
time. 
 
We stood awkwardly in line for our train. Noticing once again the 
stares and our alien status. Ashley voiced what sounded like a 
forming thought, which is sometimes how she starts conversations. 
"I think I know how Harry Potter felt. When he had to go somewhere 
foreign and didn't know what he was doing at all." I let it sink in 
for a second before considering responding but she continued, "of 
course, he knew their language so that definitely helped." I 
explained that there were words he had to learn like muggle, 
non-magic humans. We thought of a few others but agreed that they 
still knew the same language and it would be easy to explain the 
unknown words with words he already knew. Yes, the whole time I 
realized we were talking about a fictional character of whom never 
really lived. We talked as if he did and if something made up and 
pretend can comfort you and bring a sense of not being alone, why 
not? We both know it was not real but the idea is the same. 
 
As soon as we stepped on the train, the air changed. It became hot 
and stuffy. I hoped it was just the in-between area but it was not 
so. The heat laid thickly through the whole cabin. The sweat came 
and so did the crowd of people. There were people leaning over each 
other, pushing through, and standing in the isles. No windows 
cracked. Our newspapers, notebooks, tickets, and papers became fans 
for our dripping sweaty bodies. My thoughts turned to the Holocaust 
and for at least the fourth time in my life, I felt a sympathy for 
the Jews and others that were squished in boxcars of trains, 
sometimes naked or in other horrible conditions being transferred to 
camps. The heat was overwhelming. The bodies were not even that close 
to me personally because I had the middle seat and not an edge, but  
it did not matter. We joked about dying this way or losing lots of 
carbs as we sat in our sweat. Only vaguely begging for relief. It 
only took 25 mins or so for the train to start moving. A ridiculous 
amount of time when you have to breathe in 100 people and swim in 
your sweat.
Lindey and I on the train ride.
The train had air conditioning that finally gave us the relief we 
sought after a while. I spent the first hour finishing a book I 
purchased for my kindle app early in my adventures to china. It was 
much shorter than I was hoping and 'Gossamar' was finished and done 
with before I felt the story had began to make interesting 
connections. It could have been so much more. I read a few chapters 
of The Book of Mormon and finished the book of Alma. 
 
Ashley and I
We wrestled with our bags overhead to get some food that definitely 
did not satisfy us in most means. We lucked out as usual to find 
that the girl facing us was majoring in English. She was freshman in 
college but her English was rather good. At one point, I noticed a 
guy standing by and watching us. He would sometimes make slight 
indications that he might know what we were saying. I guessed it 
right away and whispered to Ashley that I was certain he did. An 
opportunity arose for him to sit across from us, next to the nice 
English majoring girl. He began talking to us. It was a treat. He 
told us of his job as a seaman and told English-Chinese jokes that 
we found amusing. His English was difficult to understand at times 
but the pair made good efforts to fill in gaps and correct mistakes. 
It made for an entertaining ride. He got off sooner than we would 
have liked but it happens. It seems we can only meet these strangers 
and enjoy their company for a while, then there is just their small 
memory. A picture and a few written notes. Then they are gone. 
Without a way to connect again. In America we could exchange numbers, 
Facebook profiles, or other such connections but it usually is not 
the same here in China. We do not carry personal phones, QQ is their 
type of Facebook, and there are many barriers between that usually 
leave us all with just goodbyes. This may be the romance of 
traveling. A meeting of random strangers that can have impacts on 
ones life and the way they think. To have a brief moment and not 
exchange more.
English girl and Tong
It is a long train ride. 
 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! He's called The Boy Who Lived for a reason ya know!

    totally get what you mean about meeting strangers:

    “Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.” [Anonymous]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! thanks James! sorry i didnt reply before!

    ReplyDelete