Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Shoptastic

I awoke several times in the night. Once I needed to go to the 
bathroom but I decided I would just go in the morning. It was a 
hassle to put on shoes and walk down the steep steps and down the 
hallways to get there. At 5:30am, I heard someone get up, move stuff 
around, and then go out the door. I was wondering why they would 
because it sounded like they were going to the shower not just the 
bathroom. It turns out, Ashley thought it was a lot later when she 
looked at the time. She did get up and shower. 
 
We agreed the night before that we would be out the door by 9:30am at 
least. We were. We were out by nine. The walk to the 'Temple of 
Heaven' was about one or two miles. It was mostly like a huge park 
with random steps and Chinese buildings. That took about an hour and 
a half...but we had agreed to meet at the entrance in two hours. So 
waiting in the wind was a bit obnoxious but I sat on the corner of a 
sign that blocked a good portion of the wind. While here at the 
temple, there were again, many white people but we rarely ran into 
or found Americans. (as far as we knew) Sometimes we could tell by 
their accents or when they spoke another language other than English. 
It was fun to try and guess. 
 
For lunch, we found a random little street and random little 
restaurant that had pictures to point at. The noodles were good. They 
were salty tasting. Then right across the way was the pearl market. 
Kim was so excited that I almost had to hold her back. 
 
It was insane! Chinese people trying to sell anything and everything 
they had, at outrageous prices (because they know we do not really 
understand or know good prices). Not to mention that most of the 
things were knock offs or fakes. Sifting through everything and 
bargaining with these people was so crazy! I hated when they would 
grab our arms and make us stay there or really think we were stupid. 
Some of the sellers would pretty much chase after you. There was 
plenty of walking away, many coming backs, and some coming back after 
a while when we feel like they were not ripping us off and it was a 
good deal. I got some nice things but probably spent too much. 
Especially for being in China. It is a learning process with these 
things. 
 
At one point, Ashley was helping someone buy and bargain for a coat 
and the people were asking way too much. She told them she paid 50 
yuan for a jacket like that and by that point, the seller was really 
getting frustrated and angry because she wanted her price. So she 
told Ashley, "You look like 50 yuan!" we get a good kick out of that 
line. She was also called, "too tough". One of the sellers said, "a 
little tough is good but you are too tough." We had to be tough 
though and that was the lesson we all kept learning...over and over 
again. At the end of the day, I think we were all quite proud and 
happy with our purchases overall. I still think my 10 yuan bag is my 
favorite purchase so far. 
 
To go back to our hostel, we took the long way. No, not on purpose. 
Our sense of direction is a little off. As well as our map reading 
skills. (They sometimes just have bad maps though-not in this case.) 
we went backwards and down a questionable street. We found a 7 Eleven 
on our way back for dinner. The peaches and pistachios I bought were 
delicious! The pistachios were spicy and good. The walk back, was 
painful. I had all of my purchases and other equipment in my new bag. 
I could only have it on one shoulder at a time and it would dig in. 
My feet got swollen and hurt. It seemed like an eternity. When we got 
back, we showed off our buys and enjoyed just crashing in our room. I 
got my bag all ready for my next Big adventure-sleeping on the Great 
Wall of China. Yeah. Excitement was in the air. 
 
 

1 comment: