Saturday, May 7, 2011

Tryin new Things‏

It was easy to see how the day could turn out to be by waking up. 
Waking up to loud talking from roommates, or one roommate, can be 
disconcerting. I was not very happy and said something pretty rude...
I was grumpy and annoyed.
 
I was the last to  be ready to go but I think I was just being 
bitter and slow. After we stepped outside, Kim and I realized we did 
not prepare very well. Neither of us remembered sunglasses, sunblock, 
or snacks. It would be such a pain to go back by then. We lived on 
the second floor and in the corner of our hostel. We just kept going 
and bought sun hats on our way to the Forbidden City. The Forbidden 
City, or Palace Museum was huge. There were lots of different 
buildings and tons of tourists. It took us less than an hour to 
be done with it. It was another old Chinese place. We met back up 
after an hour and took the long way out, looking at more of what the 
Palace Museum had to offer. I started to get low-blood sugar because 
my breakfast was not big and I did not pack snacks. Luckily, I have 
awesome friends that let me have some of their crackers and peanut 
butter. I was at least more conscience. Still felt grumpy because 
when my blood sugar goes low, I get easily irritable and 
dysfunctional. We decided to go to the 'Snack Street' but we could 
not find it for a while. The walking was getting very tiring. When 
we finally found it, it was quite interesting. There were scorpions 
on sticks that still wiggled around. Then they would fry them for 
people to eat. Nicole ate two and let Bryndi try one. Bryndi got it 
chewed and swallowed. She took a drink and we were walking again but 
suddenly she started gagging and then throwing up. She got down on 
her hands and knees and hurled up some of the other food we had just 
consumed. Quickly after, she stood up nonchalantly and kept walking 
like nothing happened. She had thought about it too much and Bryndi 
has a weak gag reflex. I had expected her to throw it up but after 
she got it down and walked away, I thought she had it made.
: /
I did not try any scorpions but I did take a bite of a gritty 
starfish and chewy cooked snake. The meatless dumplings were good 
though and the fried banana. Then when we had our feel of that 
street, we went to McDonalds. Why McD's? Well they had REAL ice 
cream. We got delicious McFlurrys. Our next feat was to find a 
subway to get close to the clothing market. This was my first time 
on the subway. It was pretty simple when I just followed the other 
girls. It was crowded but not overcrowded. Then we had to walk some 
more to get to the market. We walked around the market and found new 
purchases. One lady that was selling jeans, dragged Kim back to her 
stall. It was so funny looking! We found a little DVD store and when 
we were finally done shopping, we went to get ice cream. Why again? 
Well it was Cold Stone Creamery right across the road!!!! I was so 
excited! The ice cream was perfectly delicious and sitting down, was 
more than a treat. Our legs, ankles, and feet were dying. They hurt 
from all the walking and walking and walking. 
 
Just for you Henry! : )
We did not want to carry everything back to our hostel, especially 
with how far away we were by then. We grabbed a taxi and when I saw 
how far we were, I was even more glad we had decided to take it. I 
showered when I got back and my feet were still a ting of black. I 
do not know if it was from the street dirt getting between my shoes 
and my feet or the dye from my cheap shoes. It felt good though to 
take a shower and scrub down. Then I got a cold water bottle and 
along with drinking it, I used it to cool my feet.  I settled in for 
the night and skyped the best guy in the whole world, the love of my 
life, Super Amazing Man, the handsomest guy I know (other than my 
dad ;) , and the guy I am going to marry in less than two months. =] 
I fell asleep soon after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment